Chronological Bibliography of Books by Stanislav Grof
- Realms Of The Human Unconscious: Observations From LSD Research (1975)
- The Human Encounter With Death (1977) with Joan Halifax
- LSD Psychotherapy (1980)
- Beyond Death: The Gates Of Consciousness (1981) with Christina Grof
- Ancient Wisdom And Modern Science (1984) Edited by Stanislav Grof
- Beyond the Brain: Birth, Death And Transcendence In Psychotherapy (1985)
- Human Survival And Consciousness Evolution (1988) Edited with Marjorie L. Valier
- The Adventure Of Self-Discovery: Dimensions of Consciousness And New Perspectives In Psychotherapy (1988)
- Spiritual Emergency: When Personal Transformation Becomes A Crisis (1989) Edited with Christina Grof
- The Stormy Search For The Self: A Guide To Personal Growth Through Transformative Crisis (1990) with Christina Grof
- The Holotropic Mind: The Three levels Of Human Consciousness And How They Shape Our Lives (1992) with Hal Zina Bennet
- Books Of The Dead: Manuals For Living And Dying (1993)
- The Thirst For Wholeness: Attachment, Addiction And The Spiritual Path (1994) by Christina Grof
- The Transpersonal Vision (1998) book and audio
- The Cosmic Game: Explorations Of The Frontiers Of Human Consciousness (1998)
- The Consciousness Revolution: A Transatlantic Dialogue (1999) with Peter Russell and Ervin Laszlo. Foreword by Ken Wilber
- Psychology Of The Future: Lessons From Modern Consciousness Research (2000)
- Caterpillar Dreams (2004) with Melody Sullivan
- When The Impossible Happens: Adventures In Non-Ordinary Reality (2006)
- The Ultimate Journey: Consciousness And The Mystery Of Death (2006)
- "New Perspectives in Understanding and Treatment of Emotional Disorders," Chapter 13 in Psychedelic Medicine: New Evidence for Hallucinogens as Treatments, Michael J. Winkelman and Thomas B. Roberts (editors) (2007). Westport, CT: Praeger/Greenwood.
- LSD: Doorway to the Numinous: The Groundbreaking Psychedelic Research into Realms of the Human Unconscious (2009)
- Holotropic Breathwork: A New Approach to Self-Exploration and Therapy (2010)
- Healing Our Deepest Wounds: The Holotropic Paradigm Shift (2012)
Stan Grof Videos and Interviews
Stan Grof, Holotropic Breathwork and Non Ordinary States of ConsciousnessPart 1 of 3
Stan Grof, Holotropic Breathwork and Non Ordinary States of Consciousness Part 2 of 3
Stan Grof, Holotropic Breathwork and Non Ordinary States of Consciousness Part 3 of 3
Stan Grof: A Discussion about Mandalas (10:28)
Geoff Fitzpatrick – Menla Mountain Retreat Centre, May 2010
”Holotropic” (3:23) with Stan Grof
The Omega Institute,
August 20, 2007
Stan Grof on “Holotropic Breathing” (3:22)
Dr. Grof’s voice begins a few seconds after the beginning of this video.
Brief video of Stan Grof talking about modern and ancient techniques of shamanism.
Added to YouTube: July 04, 2006 by phlip77
Stan Grof – “The Holotropic Mind” (20:00)
Video Interview of Stan Grof by Regina Meredith on The Conscious Media Network – 2006
Stan Grof and Michael Harner (9:20)
Stan Grof and Michael Harner discuss Holotropic Breathwork and shamanism.
Adventure of Self-Discovery – Thinking Allowed. DVD w/ Stan Grof and Jeffrey Mishlove
Discussion of COEX systems in the psyche. NOTE: This is an excerpt from the full 90-minute DVD. (5 minutes) –
Below are links to articles about and interviews with Stan Grof:
Angela Winter interviews Stan Grof for “The Sun” – “Stanislav Grof – On Nonordinary States Of Consciousness”. Reprinted from the August 2009 issue of The Sun, www.thesunmagazine.org.
Alvaro Jardim interviews Dr. Stan Grof in Goiania, Brazil about Holotropic Breathwork, Transpersonal Psychology and more. (21 pages)
Transpersonal Books & Articles
- Achterberg, J. (1985). Imagery in healing: Shamanism and modern medicine. Boston: Shambhala.
- Anderson, R., & Braud, W. (2011). Transforming self and others through research: Transpersonal research methods and skills for the human sciences and humanities. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Assagioli, R. (1965). Psychosynthesis: A collection of basic writings. New York: Viking.
- Boorstein, S. (1997). Clinical studies in transpersonal psychotherapy. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Braud, W., & Anderson, R. (1998). Transpersonal research methods for the social sciences: Honoring human experience. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Capriles, E. (2010). Degenerative evolution, ecocrisis and spiritual revolution. In the Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Transpersonal Conference, pp. 66-72.
- Cardena, E., Lynn, S. J., & Krippner, S. (Eds.). (2000). Varieties of anomalous experience: Examining the scientific evidence. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cooper, D. E. (1971). The death of the family. Harmondsworth, Middlesex, UK: Pelican Books.
- Cortright, B. (1997). Psychotherapy and spirit: Theory and practice in transpersonal psychotherapy. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Daniels, M. (2005). Shadow, self, spirit: Essays in transpersonal psychology. Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic.
- Dass, R. (1974). The only dance there is. New York: Anchor.
- Ferrer, J. N. (2001). Revisioning transpersonal theory: A participatory vision of human spirituality. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Firman, J., & Gila, A. (1997). The primal wound: A transpersonal view of trauma, addiction, and growth. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Forman, R. K. C. (Ed.), (1990). The problem of pure consciousness. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Friedman, H. (2002). Transpersonal psychology as a scientific field. International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, 21, 175-187.
- Friedman, H. (2005). Problems of romanticism in transpersonal psychology: A case study of Aikido. The Humanistic Psychologist, 33, 3-24.
- Goleman, D. (1988). The meditative mind: The varieties of meditative experience. Los Angeles: Tarcher.
- Grof, S. (2008). Brief history of transpersonal psychology. International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, 17, 46-54.
- Hart, H. T., Nelson, P. L., & Puhakka, K. (Eds.), Transpersonal knowing: Exploring the horizon of consciousness (pp. 253-270). Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Hartelius, G., Caplan, M & Rardin, M. A. (2007). Transpersonal psychology: Defining the past, divining the future. The Humanistic Psychologist, 35(2), 135-160.
- Husain, A. (2011). Spirituality and holistic health: A psychological perspective. New Delhi: Prasad Psycho Corporation.
- Husain, A. (Ed.), (2010). Explorations in human spirituality. New Delhi: Global Vision Publishing House.
- James, W. (1902). The varieties of religious experience: A study in human nature. New York, NY: Longmans, Green and Co.
- Johnson, D. H. (Ed.) (1995). Bone, breath, and gesture. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.
- Jung. C. G. (1972). The collected works of C. G. Jung (2 ed.) (H. Read, M. Fordham, & G. Adler, Eds., R. F. Hull, Trans.). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Kripal, J. J. (2008). Esalen: America and the religion of no religion. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Krippner, S., & Friedman, H. (Eds.) (2009) Mysterious minds: The psychobiology of psychics, mediums, and other extraordinary people. New York: Praeger.
- Laing, R. D. (1967). The politics of experience and the bird of paradise. London: Penguin Books.
- Lancaster, B. L. (2004). Approaches to consciousness: The marriage of science and mysticism. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Laszlo, E. (2004). Science and the Akashic field: An integral theory of everything. Rochester, NY: Inner Traditions.
- MacDonald, D. A. (2000). Spirituality: Description, measurement and relation to the Five Factor Model of personality. Journal of Personality, 68(1), 153-197.
- MacDonald, D. A. (2009). Identity and spirituality: Conventional and transpersonal perspectives. International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, 28, 86-106.
- Maslow, A. H. (1968). Toward a psychology of being (2 ed.). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Maslow, A. H. (1971). The farther reaches of human nature. New York: Viking.
- Mellick, J. (1996). The natural artistry of dreams: Creative ways to bring the wisdom of dreams to waking life. Berkeley, CA: Conari Press.
- Menon, S. (2008). Transpersonal Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita: Consciousness, Meditation, Work and Love. In K. R. Rao, A. Paranjpe, & A. Dalal (Eds.), Handbook of Indian Psychology (pp. 186-216). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Menon, S. (2007). Basics of 'Spiritual Altruism. Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 39:2, 137-152
- Moss, D. (Ed.). (1999). Humanistic and transpersonal psychology: A historical and biographical sourcebook. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press/Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Pekala, R. J. (1991). Quantifying consciousness: An empirical approach. New York: Plenum Press.
- Perry, J. W. (1974). The Far Side of Madness. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Polanyi, M. (1969) Knowing and being. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Ring, K. (1980). Life at death: Scientific investigation of the near-death experience. New York: Coward, McCann & Geoghegan.
- Rock, A. J., & Krippner, S. (in press). Demystifying shamans and their world: A multi-disciplinary study. Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic.
- Romanyshyn, R. D. (2007). The wounded researcher: Research with soul in mind. New Orleans, LA: Spring Journal Books.
- Rothberg, D. (2006). An engaged spiritual life: A Buddhist approach to transforming ourselves and the world. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Rothberg, D. Rothberg, D. J., & Kelly, S. M. (Eds.). (1998). Ken Wilber in dialogue: Conversations with leading transpersonal thinkers. Wheaton, IL: Quest Books/The Theosophical Publishing House.
- Ruumet, H. (2006). Pathways of the soul: Exploring the human journey. Bloomington, IN: Trafford Publishing.
- Satprem. (1981). The mind of the cells (F. Mahak & L. Vernet, Trans.). New York: Institute for Evolutionary Research.
- Sheets-Johnstone, M. (2009). The corporeal turn: An interdisciplinary reader. Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic.
- Storm, L., & Rock, A. J. (2011). Shamanism and psi. Adelaide, SA: Hyde Park Press.
- Sugamura, G., & Warren, E. S. (2006). Conjoining paradigms: A dissolution-oriented approach to psychotherapy. In M. G. T. Kwee, K. J. Gergen, & F. Koshikawa (Eds.), Horizons in Buddhist psychology: Practice, research & theory (pp. 379-397). Chagrin Falls, OH: Taos Institute.
- Sugamura, G., Haruki, Y., & Koshikawa, F. (2007). Building more solid bridges between Buddhism and Western psychology. American Psychologist, 62(9), 1080-1081.
- Sutich, A. J. (1969). Some considerations regarding transpersonal psychology. Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 1(1), 11-20.
- Sutich, A. J. (1976b). The founding of humanistic and transpersonal psychology: A personal account. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Humanistic Psychology Institute (now Saybrook Institute), San Francisco.
- Tart, C. T. (1975). States of consciousness. New York, Dutton.
- Tart, C. T. (Ed.) (1990). Altered states of consciousness. Harper.
- Taylor, E. (2011).William James on consciousness beyond the margin. NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Taylor, S. (2005). The fall: The evidence for a golden age, 6,000 years of insanity, and the dawning of a new era. New York: O Books (The Bothy, John Hunt Publishing Ltd.).
- Valle, R. (Ed.). (1998). Phenomenological inquiry in psychology: Existential and transpersonal dimensions. New York, NY: Plenum Press.
- Vaughan, F. (1979). Awakening intuition. New York: Anchor Books.
- Wade, J. (1996). Changes of mind: A holonomic theory of the evolution of consciousness. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Walsh, R. (2007). The world of shamanism: New views on an ancient tradition. St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Pubs.
- Walsh, R., & Vaughan, F. (1993). On transpersonal definitions. Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 25, 199-207.
- Walsh, R., & Vaughan, F. (Eds.). (1980). Beyond ego: Transpersonal dimensions in psychology. Los Angeles, CA: Tarcher.
- Washburn, M. (2003). Embodied spirituality in a sacred world. Albany, NY, US: State University of New York Press.
- Washburn, Michael. (1995). The ego and the dynamic ground: A transpersonal theory of human development (2 ed.). Albany: State University of New York Press.